Residency Restrictions Impact Tax Revenue



As most Froggers know, I've joined the ranks of prospective home buyers. In fact, I viewed a house tonight that was in such bad shape, I jumped immediately in the shower upon my return home just to slough off the creepy crawlers, imaginary or otherwise.

I am happy report that the home (well, more a shack at this point) was well over 1000 feet as the crow flies from any day care, school or park. God knows how my family member could fly over or walk through houses to gain access to areas off limit to those convicted of what Florida calls a sex offense these days, but we are definitely using the morality compass as we plan our Sex Offender Tour of Homes.

(While trekking about with the realtor, I had this great idea that perhaps I should open a Bed and Breakfast just for SO's. Not a member of the club? No special designation on your driver's license? No vacancy at the inn, baby.)

Discrimination at its finest.

But enough of my musings and back to the house hunt. I actually found a lovely bungalow for sale with the asking price reduced by $20,000. Unfortunately, with a park within sight and a school down the street, I had broken through the decency perimeter lawmakers have allowed my family.

Which is too bad. I could've purchased the home and within a month or so, been an upstanding Payer of Property Taxes. For a state suffering an economic meltdown due to tax revenue lost because of a sputtering housing market, I'd think anybody's money would be green enough.

But alas, instead the Florida Legislature has chosen to concentrate people behind invisible picket fences and as a result, lost 2000 grand in potential tax dollars payable by moi.

It's about time the cost of legislating morality kicked our state lawmakers in their fiscal behinds.

May cyberpolice hiding behind their avatars be the first to be booted out the budget door.