The Gelber-Bondi Race




I've stayed silent much of this election cycle, choosing instead to enjoy the anxiety of many incumbents as unknown candidates picked them off at the primary and stand to do the same during tomorrow's election.

Don't get me wrong. I'm more than slightly horrified over just who may find themselves in positions of political power Wednesday morning, but then, I've had that feeling now for years.

Of particular interest to me is the Florida Attorney General race. Seasoned politician Dan Gelber appears perplexed over his current situation, polling under Pam Bondi, a former prosecutor who (in my opinion) appears quite unprepared for the position.

Gelber has been no friend to certain families in Florida, thanks to a certain lobbyist who has captured his attention with misinformation over the many years Gelber was in the position to effect change. So, part of me enjoys the reality of disgusted voters slapping him in the face.

But then we have Bondi, who failed the character test some time back after hauling a Louisiana family into court as a means to keep the Katrina dog she adopted from returning home to its Louisiana family.

Quite the choice.

If Gelber pulls off this race, I hope he remembers that real people who have committed no crime are effected--often quite harshly--by Florida law.

If Bondi is the state's next AG, at the very least, her predecessor Bill McCollum is out of politics.