Bailing on Jaycee Dugard


My air conditioner is leaking like a sieve, so like every penny-pinching American, I repaired it myself.

I stuck a 30-gallon tub inside the air handler to catch the water.

Now, one must remember to check the 30-gallon tub on occasion and not wait one solid month to check the standing water. As noted by the Titanic, collected water tends to weigh much more than the container.

Unable to budge the plastic vessel, I did what any good sailor would do. Started bailing. Cup by coffee cup, I bailed, bucketed and tossed the collected water out into my parched garden. After several trips, I was able to slide the container out into the hallway.

Whew.

Water still filled the container half-way. I could a) throw my back out in attempt to haul the excess out the front door or b) reach for my trusty coffee cup.

Choosing health over haste, I resumed the bailing process.

I noticed something at the bottom of the tub.

A penny.

Right there in plain sight, for anyone who bothered to peer past all the crystal-clear water.

I pulled the cent free and in examination, found nothing particularly interesting about it. Just a plain old penny, mine for the taking.

Sort of like Jaycee Dugard.

For 18 years, she remained held fast, forced to endured the very worst possible bottom of the barrel scenario society has to offer.

The weight of this country's child protection laws did nothing to protect or act as a fail-safe on her behalf.

Lawmakers, it's time to check the water.