MO - Fixing a broken list

Rep. David Day
Original Article

08/26/2011

Rolla - State Rep. David Day attended and spoke at St. Louis with a group of individuals that feel the current Sex Offender Registry laws are broken (See Here).

My purpose at the meeting was to visit with them about working with elected officials and lobbying them, something I have done with several groups in the state.

Last year we worked on a bill with Rep. Rodney Schad sponsored and I proudly supported, it was HB 999.

What last session’s HB 999 would have done is simply recognize the difference between a true sex offender and someone who makes a dumb mistake at a young age.

Last year HB 999 passed out of the House with only 16 “No” votes, but never received floor time in the Senate because of it being so late in session.

Our hope is to have it moving much quicker next session and try to fix a system that in my opinion is a broken one.

Feel free to contact me (573) 751-1446 or david.day@house.mo.gov.